Many of us are told that the best way to succeed in life is to just “be ourselves”. As simple as it sounds, that can be difficult for any of us to do on our own. Human Design provides a way of understanding what “being ourselves” actually means. It is not a belief system, but a body of knowledge that respects our individuality and the fact that we are an ever-evolving species. It was designed to be tested and studied, to be explored and experimented with, to be verified by our own experience. It provides a unique map and a navigation system that can help us to know and love what we are so that our lives become more fulfilling and more our own.
Human Design is a system that synthesizes astrology, the I Ching, the Kabbalah and the Hindu-Brahmin Chakra systems with current scientific knowledge in the fields of Physics, Astronomy, Genetics and Biochemistry. Using the time of our birth, Human Design is able to define the forces that influence our bodies and personalities, helping us to understand the cycles, characteristics and themes that make us who we are.
The Human Design Chart, or Bodygraph, is the map which gives us information about how the body and mind function together, how we experience energy, emotion, awareness, identity, ego, instinct, intuition and the mind. Among many things, it can also reveal:
- How our gifts and innate abilities are organically expressed
- How we can be both wise and vulnerable in relation to the influences around us: societal, interpersonal and planetary
- Who is attractive to us and why
- The ways in which we are fixed and consistent, what we can trust in ourselves
- Where we are open to conditioning and coping strategies that lead to confusion, inner conflict, frustration, bitterness, anger and disappointment
- Which characteristics are conscious and rooted in personality and which are unconscious or rooted in the body
- How to make decisions using a personal navigation system
- What role and purpose we are here to express
Most of all, Human Design offers an opportunity to accept and surrender to what is unchangeable and unbroken in us, so that we come to love, trust and rely on ourselves.
There are some who hold the Human Design information dogmatically, but it is not a set of rules to impose on anyone. It is not a moral code with which to judge or measure anyone. It is not a method of self-improvement to make us more palatable or successful according to societal standards. It is not a means to control life or make it into what our minds think it should be. Instead, at its best, Human Design can help us to recognize and accept ourselves and each other. It can inspire and further becoming a healthy, self-loving human being.
A core Human Design motto is “Love Yourself”. All the information found in this rich and complex system can return us to this simple possibility. To love and respect ourselves and let life unfold through us.